On Friday 25 May 2018, David Venus, as international President, awarded the President’s Medal to two deserving members of our profession…Richard Sermon MBE FCIS and Ben Mathews FCIS.
Richard Sermon has enjoyed a distinguished career. He qualified as a member of the Institute in 1972 and in 1974 founded Shandwick International, a renowned PR firm, later taking it public. Richard has been senior independent director of Jardine Lloyd Thompson plc, has served as a Sheriff of the City of London and is currently Honorary Visiting Professor in Corporate Governance at Cass Business School. Richard was awarded an MBE in 2010 ‘for services to young people’. Richard has been a strong supporter of ICSA for many years and has on many occasions facilitated and enhanced relationships between the Institute and the City of London.
Ben Mathews has had a stellar career as a Chartered Secretary. Ben has acted as company secretary to no less than three FTSE 100 companies – BG Group, Rio Tinto and currently HSBC Holdings – and is still in mid- career! Richard’s primary qualification is FCIS. I have known Ben since 1994 when he was newly qualified and have followed his career with interest and admiration.
While both Richard and Ben are based in the UK, their contributions to the Institute have been truly international, given their respective links to the global reputation and reach of the City of London and the governance of three leading international companies.
- Tom Morrison Essay Prize 2021
- Live webinar discussion | Do we really need to meet? Learning from a Pandemic
- Enhancing Individual Director Accountability
- Thought Leadership report – Beyond the Listed Company
- Governance has a new champion
- Tom Morrison Essay Prize 2020
- A robot in the boardroom: is the role of the company secretary about to change?
- 21st Century Annual General Meeting – the hybrid meeting bringing value all around
- Market forces, not policy intervention, driving greater global shareholder engagement
- President’s medal
- New Chartered Governance Professional designation and new class of member
- New qualifying programmes
- Tom Morrison Essay Prize
- Congratulations to our 2017 ICSA graduates
- Mervyn King awarded Honorary Fellowship
- International President addresses Southern African Division
Be the first to know about the latest events and insights